I know which one I'd choose.
The name is central to the professional wrestler's persona. It's key to the performance, as it often signal something about the character before he steps into the ring. That's why so many of these names are over-the-top, eye-catching and intimidating. They help to convey a personality that is key to the professional wrestler's storyline. Getting the name "right" is critical to commercial success.
Jordan 'Smiley' Rogers, general manager of Xtreme Wrestling Center, knows the value of a great name. Creating a memorable character name is part of the curriculum at this Kansas City-based professional wrestling training facility.
Rogers breaks down the best professional wrestling names of all time. Do you agree?
1. Stone Cold Steve Austin "'Stone Cold' is easy to remember and rolls off the tongue. It embodies an 'I don't care' attitude, which represented his era perfectly."
2. The Rock "Besides being a great action film star, The Rock, a.k.a. Rocky Maivia, is one of the most well-known pro wrestlers, in part because of his simple, easy to remember name -- which implies he's a force to be reckoned with."
3. The Undertaker "Brilliant name which sparks fear in the hearts of young and old. No one looks forward to visiting the Undertaker, would you? All that can be said is, 'Rest...In...Peace.'"
4. King Kong Bundy "Who hasn't seen the movie "King Kong"? Would you want to wrestle that gorilla?"
5. Andre the Giant "This man truly made the name. He was a giant and the term fit and became part of American culture, much like our next wrestler on the list ..."
6. Hulk Hogan "Hulk was lifted from The Incredible Hulk and implies that this man is an unstoppable beast. In the sport of pro wrestling, he certainly was. His name being easily remembered was key."
7. Junkyard Dog "Definitely a unique name. Junkyard Dogs are known for being tough and un-leashed."
8. Rowdy Roddy Piper "The double dose of preceding 'R's' roll off the tongue and let you know right away that he's not taking things lightly. Piper describes that he's from Scotland. I guess this one is just memorable because once you see a Pro Wrestler in a kilt, being tough, you never forget his name."
9. Nature Boy Ric Flair "Ric Flair is one of the most recognizable names in pro wrestling history. Two words, two syllables, easy to remember. It's his unmatchable charisma which really makes the name memorable though, similar to Piper."
10. Honky Tonk Man "Once upon a time people used to go to bars called Honky Tonks. This was once a part of American culture. Using that name was a smart way to create nostalgia around his character -- and since he was basically doing an Elvis impression the little old ladies loved him."
Curious what your professional wrestler name could be? Click here.